Enjoy the Experience.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Wild Kingdom

It has been an interesting week with the Animal Kingdom.
Last week I went out to ride Harbison and I wanted to get some long easy miles. About the only way to do that out there is to ride the Outer Loop a few times. The first time around I drop into this new section of trail right after the Spiderwoman trailhead and there is a big fat black squirrel in the middle of the trail. I figure it will move as I get closer, as all squirrels do, but he just walks slowly away and I almost hit him. Then on the second lap the same squirrel is there and this time I have to swerve and yell to get him to move out of the way. We obviously need more bobcats in Harbison. Toby claims he saw one last Wednesday, if so he should be well fed.
Last night we are out riding Harbison and there are bunnies everywhere. I have been riding this trail system for years and can not remember ever seeing that many rabbits. Funny thing is we did a fire road climb a few times tonight and sure enough this rabbit is hanging out on the corner every time we go around. I figure this must be attributing the population boom. Prostitute bunnies.
Tuesday riding at Marrington Plantation, flying through the trails with Joel in tow, I see this thing in the middle of the trail. I was not sure what it was until I was within 20’ of it. By then it is “oh $h! t that is an alligator”. This guy was not the biggest, about 3-1/2’, but he was taking up a lot of single track. I did not know what to do so I just swerved around him and he struck at me. Joel freaked and rode off into the woods. That will get the blood flowing. Afterwards I figured that may not have been a good idea. If he would have got a hold of my ankle, I am sure I would have needed stitches.
Late Edit: Joel's Perspective:
Joe and I had a similar run-in with the pissed off little alligator…. Joe was moving at a good clip ahead of me and I spotted it when looking over his shoulder, but it was too late…Joe sped around it assuming it would run into the bushes, but the little lizard held his ground and appeared ready to fight. The alligator jumped at Joe’s ankle and tried to snap on it…I can only describe that alligators have many, many teeth…I swerved deep left into the bushes and narrowly missed hitting a tree to avoid the rapidly snapping gator…They are much faster than they appear, can hop through the air quite easily and should not be underestimated… upon riding my next lap, the alligator was nowhere to be found… definitely give them the right of way….never a dull moment on the trail!
Finally on the ride home in my car on Tuesday down I-77 next to the water treatment plant I see something in the road. As I get closer I realize that it is a Peacock. What in the hell is a peacock doing in the middle of I-77 at 9pm? Are peacocks even native to SC? I thought about stopping to save the bird from absolute death, but then again it is a bird and I probably would have only killed myself in the process. Maybe he made it.

Here is a picture to sum it up. This was sent to me yesterday. I do not know where it happened, or the story about it, but it is great.

1 comment:

Toby Porter said...

Use the Cake as a gator shield. I missed you fellas on Wed. late and I didn't notice your ride in the front lot. Have fun at Carowinds you big kid.

Tracker

Blog Archive