Enjoy the Experience.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Memorial Day Baptism

It all started with an idea from Boozer that materialized into a request and then reality. He requested that we go to Pisgah on Memorial Day. It just so happened that his wife had to work, so his kitchen pass was secure. After some negotiating, my pass was in hand and all that was left to do was bate some others with a post and devise a route.
My intentions were good, but the results were mixed. This also happened to be my first time leading a group through the forest.
My wife has made the comment many times that everyone is not like me. And If I would just try to understand that, I would become more compassionate. I am not quite sure what she is getting at, but anyways. You can not tell me that every mountain biker does not enjoy technically challenging trails that you have to climb for hours and hike a bike to get to. What could possibly be better than subjecting yourself to the wilderness for 7 or 8 hours? Anyways, if you don’t get it you are weird. JK.
I plotted a course:
Park near the horse stables on FS477 and going Clawhammer -> Maxwell Cove -> Black Mountain-> Turkey Pen -> S. Mills River -> Mullinax -> Squirrel Gap -> S. Mills River, -> Buckhorn -> (Left on and over Black Mountain all the way to the bottom and the road back to the stables.)
One I am particularly fond of due to the variety of trails, scenery, technical challenges, and long ass climbs. I somehow figured this would be a great way to introduce a few Columbia natives to the WNC scene.
The group ended up consisting of 5 riders: Boozer, Tom, Dennis, Andy, and myself.
Tom and Dennis have never been to Pisgah before and Barrett has only been one other time. The climb up Claw to Maxwell to Bennett was uneventful other than Tom bending his middle chain-ring less than .5 miles from the car. We made it in around 45 minutes. Then the hike a bike up Black to Turkey went pretty well. Finally after 1.5 hours we had reached our first down hill section. I think everyone enjoyed Turkey for the most part. No real complaints to speak of.
At this point I could tell that Tom was struggling a little. We were only 3 hours in and we were a long way from the cars. So we kept going, S. Mills, Mullinax, to Squirrel. At the Squirrel trail head Tom was not looking so good. He even asked how he could bail at this point. I provided him with his first Red Bull and explained that should get him through the next 2 hours. We talked a little about Squirrel and off we went. Today I had a really good time on this trail, but still not my favorite. I stopped at Cantrell Creek for our midway break. Everyone eventually pulled up, we ate, filtered water and BSed for 30 or so minutes. Spirits at this point were still pretty good, but there was already talk of bailing at Black Mountain. (I actually understand, I did the same thing in the Double Dare). Then off for the remainder of Squirrel which is much easier to ride and a lot of fun. Apparently Barret did not think so because he lost his i-pod, explored the woods below the trail (fell down the mountain), and really had a bad attitude at this point. We pushed on to S.Mills where everyone seemed to be surviving. At the Buckhorn intersection I waited for the group. First to arrive was Andy, then Barrett, then Tom and Dennis. Both hit me up for some pain killers and were complaining of engine trouble. After the exchange I left to catch the others out in front. About half way up the trail I caught Barrett and Andy was not far in front. Quickly we were there at the intersection of Black, Buckhorn, and Clawhammer. I had decided I was going over Black for the first time. Andy had already opted to bail and so did Barrett. I asked them to wait for the others and I was off.
This was my first time going over this section of Black and it is amazing. VERY Scenic, caves, rocks, and panoramic. It took me 30 minutes to summit and then I railed to Bennett. A little more hike a bike and then the fastest down hill I know. That is probably my 5th time down that section and I was cru-zen. What a rush.
Got to the trail head and they were not there to greet me as I expected. So I started the ride back to the stables. I almost made it back when I saw the van pulling up.
The ride was over. 7 hours in the saddle and lots of good memories.

Barrett is the only one that had any costly damage. 1- i-pod, 1- flat, and a shifter/lever combo that got busted up in the fall down the mountain.

Definitely an Epic to remember.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Just got around to reading your report here. Enjoyed the trip and looking forward to the next one.

Tracker

Blog Archive