Enjoy the Experience.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Finish Line or Chain Line

Yesterday was another opportunity to throw down with the locals. The LBSs put on the annual Rudolfs Rampage Bike Race and the weather was perfect. Logan, the only real racer in the house, actually already had his ticket in hand. It was up to me to decide whether or not I was up for racing.

We got to the venue around 10am racing starts at 11. Logan and I did the normal pre-race things. He was signed up for the U14 class even though there was some pressure from Paul to put him in the Beginners Mens class. The main difference was that he would be racing 6 miles instead of 12. Being a weenie Dad, I decided I would be more comfortable knowing he was only racing 6 miles while I was also out there on the course racing instead of riding along beside him.

11 am roles around and it is race time. My group, SS, start a few minutes before Logan’s. He is giving me all this pep talk stuff about winning… no pressure, remember Dad, Just Pedal, No pain. Knowing I am only riding about 3x a week and 2x are at the gym. Not exactly training. Nonetheless it did not stop the trash talk at the start line. I like to use lines like, “I have been training to peak for this race all year long”. “Watch the hole shot, I am red lining the whole first lap”. “What gear did you bring? ___. That not going to be big enough”. Shit talk is so much more fun when you are actually full of shit.

Horn blows and we take off. I get to the top of the first climb in first place and Paul is yelling settle down Joe. I managed to hold first place for the first lap. Then on lap 2 a bearded fella fromCharlotte decided to drop the hammer on the switch backs. I think his name is Adam. I comfortably had 2nd place and I could see Adam every once in a while, so his lead had to be less than a minute. I cross the line on lap 2 and Paul and Logan are yelling for me to go. Logan yells out, “I won mine Dad, Now you win yours!!” Now talk about words of encouragement. A rush of adrenaline rushed over me and I was sure I was going to catch Adam. Then it happened…. Coming out of Harder Easier, my chain dropped. It sounded like my hub had been popping all day. I fiddled around got it back on and it dropped again about a mile later. Finally with about a mile left in the race my chain drops for the 4th time. 3rd and 4th place come screaming by. I am screaming all kinds of thing at my bike thinking of throwing it in the woods. I limp it back to the start finish, actually catch 3rd place almost pass him, and then drop it again. This time I just pick the bike up run across the finish line. Mechanicals on a SS, that’s embarrassing.

After the race, Logan and I talk about how we did, what happened. How many grown men he passed. Apparently it was a lot. Result get posted and come to find out he beat 2nd place by over 10 minutes. He completed the 6 mile course in 38 minutes. That is a 9.47 mph average. Not bad! He came away with his entry paid, $70 shorts, and about $10 worth of blocks, and Gu-s. That is a $120 dollar day.

So I get my bike home, take the chain off, and Logan eyeballs my cog and chain ring and says, “Dad, they are way off”. I eye ball it and sure enough like ½” off. So it was not my bikes fault, rear wheel’s fault, it was my dumb ass fault that I lost 2nd place. Still, it was a good day with my boy!





No comments:

Tracker

Blog Archive